The reasons that make us feel the need to use a concealer are often factors out of our control. Blemishes, dark circles under the eye, and even lack of sleep can leave us looking less radiant than we could be. Since concealers are almost always needed to cover up our facial imperfections, we need to know how to apply them correctly like a pro, so that in trying to conceal some imperfections, we don’t end up highlighting them. Here are some tips and tricks:
1. The Right Shade: The right shade is a shade closer to the foundation you want to use. You want to avoid any artificial look that will be created if you use a shade that is lighter than your foundation. But if you decide not to use a foundation, then the best shade to that of your skin color to allow it blend without stress.
2. Determine your undertones: Another trick to figure out your skin undertone is the color of the veins in your wrist. Your undertone is the same color with your wrist veins. According to Olivia Chantecaille, the Creative director of Chantecaille, if the said veins look blue/purple, then you have blue undertones, if the veins are blue/green, then you have a neutral undertone, and lastly, green/olive veins suggests that you have yellow undertones.
3. Apply Foundation First: Using the foundation first will go a long way to even out discoloration and hide many of the imperfections that one wishes to conceal. With this, you can use less concealer just to neutralize blemishes
4. The Right Coverage: You can not go wrong with creamy concealers. Mixing textures is also encouraged only if you actually know the “how to.” If you want to mix, you can focus heavier coverage as you deem fit and apply sheerer coverage to the rest of the area. For dark circles on old skin, the best concealer is the brightening, moisturizing, and lightweight type; it will relief darkness and will not settle in the lines.
5. Hide Pimples Effectively: You may choose to disinfect the spots before application. To cover a pimple, apply concealer with a brush. Apply small of the formula directly on the pimple, pat it in and slowly blending out. To set concealer in place, use a thin layer of HD perfecting powder.
6. Use of Colored Concealers: You can neutralize discoloration with them. For instance, green and yellow concealers will neutralize redness, while purple neutralizes. However, colored concealers should be used under your foundation in sparingly.